Аграрный вестник Урала № 09 (115) 2013Агрономия
SUBSTANTIATION OF ALFALFA VARIETY MODEL PARAMETERS FOR THE NORTH TRANS-URALS’ CONDITIONS
We have developed a model of varieties for the North Trans-Urals’ conditions having analyzed the results of alfalfa selection in the West and East Siberia and considered the studies of biological properties and economic character of initial and selection materials, their variability and interrelationship of different breeds. The model is based on alfalfa volatile (Medicago varia L.), as it is a perennial herbaceous upright branchy spring crop. It is important that alfalfa forms a strong bush with lots of stems. We will give preference to varieties with upright or inclined stems, 80–105 cm high, branchy, with many first and second branches. At the same time, the number of generative shoots should be 140–150 pcs./m2, and the number of flower clusters per generative shoot is 14–15. The factor limiting the medic crop yield in the North Trans-Urals is its frost-free period. Approximation to the new model will facilitate the development of varieties with a period from spring aftergrowing to flowering (mowing ripeness) — 55–60 days, the second mowing is in 45–50 days. The alfalfa vegetation period (from aftergrowth to seed complete ripeness) is 129–132 days. Now it is the development of alfalfa varieties with self-fertility and auto tripping that are capable for high and stable seed yields is one of the promising areas. Thus, we focus on the level of self-fertility equal to 30–45 % in the North Trans-Urals. It is necessary to enhance vegetative productivity of medic. The variety Omskaya 7 cultivated in the Tyumen region generate herbage crop yield of 12.9 t/ha for two mowings, and the variety Bystraya gives 19.6–25.0 t/ha, it indicates that there are reserves for breeding.
selection, variety, population, alfalfa, herbage crop yield, seed yield
1. Vavilov N. I. Genetics and Selection : Selected works. М. : Kolos, 1957. 552 p.
2. Goncharov P. L., Lubenets P. А. Biological aspects of medic cultivation. Novosibirsk : Nauka, 1985. 255 p.
3. Ivanov А. I. Medic. М. : Kolos, 1980. 350 p.
4. Makarova G. I. Perennial forage herbs of Siberia. Omsk : West-Siberian publishing house, 1974. 248 p.
5. Novoselova А. S. Achievements, problems of increasing the efficiency of medic selection // Selection and seed growing. 1986. № 5. P. 2–5.
6. Pylnev V. V., Konovalov Yu. B., Khupatsaria Т. I. Private breeding of field crops. М. : Kolos, 2005. P. 526–533.
7. Saveliev N. М. Biological basis of medic seed cultivation in West Siberia. М. : publishing house of USSR Academy ofSciences, 1960. 350 p.
8. Sinskaya Е. N. Current status of higher plant populations : Problems of higher plant populations. Issue 1. L., 1961. P. 3–55.