Аграрный вестник Урала № 07 (137) 2015Философия
THE LINGUISTIC NATURE OF SYMBOL (BASED ON THE LANGUAGE OF ENGLISH AND AMERICAN LITERATURE OF THE 20TH CENTURY)
The article is devoted to the analysis of different points of view on the category of symbol and the methods of linguistic description of symbol in imaginative literature. The article analyses different viewpoints on the category of symbol and shows different ways of its linguistic description in a literary text. We find the following research works on philosophical nature of the symbol the most significant: “The Philosophy of Symbolic Forms” by E. Cassirer, A.N. Whitehead’s theory of the symbol, C. G. Jung’s symbolic or depth psychology, M. Heidegger and P. Ricoeur’s hermeneutics of symbols, S. Langer’s metaphoric symbolism. Symbols can be an object of a special linguistic analysis. Moreover, there are words in literary texts the symbolic nature of which require revealing. Such symbolic potential is usually characteristic of sacred words. Their semantics reflects spiritual worldview of a particular religion. Sacred words in free and idiomatic usages can verbalise symbols. We believe that the best way is to use the componential analysis to find sacred semes in the semantic structure of the word along with the method of semantic reconstruction. As an example we study the lexeme of “rose” in works by Thomas Stearns Eliot and Iris Murdoch. The symbol there is verbalised by a certain lexeme. In Thomas Harris’s novel “The Silence of the Lambs” the symbol of “butterfly” is not only verbalised by the symbol-lexeme, but also by the words which make it more specific.
the symbol, the language of imaginative literature.
1. Cassirer E. Favorites. The experience of the person. M., 1998.
2. Ricoeur P. The conflict of interpretations.Essays on hermeneutics. M., 2002. 624.
3. Todorov T. The Theory of symbols. M., 1998.
4. Jung K. G. Man and his symbols. M., 1997.
5. Losev F. Problema characters and realistic iskusstvo. 2nd ed., Ispr. M. : Art, 1995. 320 p.
6. Losev F. Znak. Symbol. Myth: works on linguistics. M. : Izd. University Press, 1982. 479 p.
7. Swassjan K. A. The problem of symbol in contemporary philosophy. Yerevan, 1980.
8. F. de Saussure. Notes on General linguistics M., 2000.
9. Spirova E. M. Sign or symbol? // Knowledge. Understanding. Skill. 2007. No. 1.
10. Averintsev S. S. The Rhetoric and the origins of European literary tradition. M., 1996.
11. Arutyunova N. D. The human language and world. M., 1998.
12. Karaulov J. N. The Russian language and linguistic personality. M., 1987.
13. Olhovikov D. B. Substantive and symbolic in a metaphorical type of poetic thinking // The text as an object of linguistic analysis and translation (collection of articles). M., 1984. Р. 81–94.
14.Prorokov V. P. The category of the artistic image and the problem of symbol // Bulletin of Moscow University. Episode 9: Philology. 1987. No. 4. Р. 59–73.
15. Guendler I. V. The lexico-semantic field «poetic symbolism» in the Russian language (on the material of the Greek and Russian anthological poetry). Tyumen, 2002.
16. Vinogradov V. V. On the theory of artistic speech. M., 1971.
17. Potebnya A. A. The Symbol and the Myth in popular culture. M, 2000.
18. Korshkova E. A., Shevtsova E. V. Occasional phraseological units with the component «rose» in the poetry of Thomas Stearns Eliot. Kurgan: Publishing house of Kurgan State University, 2010. Р. 63–68.
19. Menschikova E. V. Symbolic meaning of the lexeme «rose» in the novel of A. Murdock «An Unofficial Rose», The book of report abstracts of scientific conference of KSU students , edition Х. Kurgan : Publishing house of Kurgan State University, 2009. P. 73.
20. Khomutnikova E. A., Sajaeva A. S. Lexical and phraseological means of objectification symbol «butterfly» in English literature of the twentieth century. The collection of materials of international scientific-practical conference «National-cultural and cognitive aspects of learning of language units.» Kostroma, 2012.
21. Khomutnikova E. A. Etymology of the English phraseological units with the component rose // And again the fight is going on...: collected papers. article on the anniversary of Dr. Philol. Sciences, Professor S. G. Shulegekovoi. Magnitogorsk : The MaSU, 2010. Р. 279–282 .
22. Hall G. The Dictionary of subjects and symbols in art. M., 1999.
Download article as PDF: